Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Third Clutch....

was laid in the middle of the night last night. They are from the female that gave me 8 out of 11 good eggs/babies last year. This year the fertility was a little worse. She laid 10 eggs and out of those, 5 appear to be fertile. Oh well. I guess I shouldn't be expecting perfection every year, but it's a shame that all that good body weight the female had put on was not used to its full potential. The male that I used was a smaller first time breeder. I guess I'll lay the blame on him for now, LOL. He is my absolute best looking male, so I guess it wasn't a total bust, but I'd have liked to have had better percentage of fertile eggs. I got spoiled last year. So this brings the year up to 18 out of 26 so far with one more girl to lay any day. I'm not anticipating any double clutches out of the girls. Here's a pic of the third female with her clutch. Can you see the "sheen"/wet look on the infertile eggs?





This is the father of this clutch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home